A Tennessee state judge on Friday refused to bar Tennessee quarterback joey aguilarRequest for preliminary injunction to play for volunteers This season, his college career effectively ended.
Aguilar’s attorneys had argued that his two seasons of junior college play should not count toward his four years of eligibility in Division I.
Aguilar, 24, played two seasons at Diablo Valley Community College in California and two more Appalachian State Before joining the volunteers last year.
The decision by Chancery Christopher D. Hagerty, issued in Knox County Chancery Court in Knoxville, Tennessee, is a major blow to the Volunteers, who have no clear successor to Aguilar for this coming season.
Aguilar’s attorneys wrote in court records that he could make about $2 million with the Volunteers this season.
It was not immediately clear whether Aguilar’s lawyers would appeal the decision. He is expected to participate in next week’s NFL Combine.
Hagerty gave Aguilar a 15-day temporary restraining order February 4then noting in its decision that the quarterback “has demonstrated a substantial likelihood of success on the merits of his claim.”
The latest ruling is a significant victory for the NCAA, which has faced multiple legal challenges to its eligibility rules. A judge in Mississippi ruled last week that Ole Miss quarterback trinidad chamblis Met the criteria to receive a medical redshirt for the sixth season. Is eligible to play for the Rebels this season.
“The NCAA is grateful for the judge’s decision today that reflects the Court’s views on eligibility standards and protecting access to the collegiate experience for current and future student-athletes,” the NCAA said in a statement. “We will continue to defend the NCAA’s eligibility rules against efforts to circumvent fundamental policies and hinder fair competition for all student-athletes. The NCAA is making changes to provide greater benefits to student-athletes and will continue to work with Congress to provide consistency for all college athletes.”
NCAA attorney Taylor Askew, a Knoxville native and graduate of UT’s Winston College of Law, argued during last week’s hearing that it was time for Aguilar to move on.
“I love Tennessee football,” Eskew said. “I’m from Knoxville. I grew up watching it. My kids watch him every game. But at some point, when the judges are looking at records like this, and in Tennessee, we have to say, ‘Tennessee is better than this. We’re better than this. We don’t have to go to the court to get our guy back. We don’t have to play someone who is ineligible under the rules to win games. We don’t do that in Tennessee.'”
Aguilar was formerly a co-plaintiff Vanderbilt quarterback diego paviaFederal lawsuit against the NCAA, which challenged its rules that counted seasons in junior college against Division I eligibility.
However, Aguilar recused himself from that case and sued the NCAA in state court because a decision on Pavia’s complaint was not expected until February 10 at the earliest.
Pavia was granted a preliminary injunction by a federal judge that allowed him to play for the Commodores in 2025. He finished second in Heisman Trophy voting.
The NCAA Division I Board of Directors approved a blanket waiver on December 23, 2004, which provided an additional year of eligibility for former junior college transfers in similar situations to Pavia.
Pavia entered the NFL Draft this year, but he continued his pursuit to help other former JUCO players potentially gain an additional season of eligibility.
Aguilar also redshirted at City College of San Francisco in 2019, and the following season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
After throwing for 6,760 yards with 56 touchdowns in two seasons at Appalachian State, Aguilar entered the transfer portal in December 2024. he was ready to play UCLA By former Volunteer quarterback last season Niko Imaliaeva Unexpectedly transferred and signed with the Bruins in April.
Aguilar signed with Tennessee the next day. He completed 67.3% of his passes for 3,565 yards with 24 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 2025.
The Volunteers went 8-4, 4-4 in the SEC last season.
Jake MerklingerAguilar’s backup last season, transferred YukonN. That leaves the redshirt freshman George McIntyre As the team’s potential starting quarterback. 8th ranked pocket passer ESPN’s Class of 2025McIntyre attempted nine passes in two games last season.
Volunteers also participated Ryan StaubWho spent the last three seasons in Colorado.
UT signed faizan brandonNo. 3 pocket passer in class of 2026.

